Friday, May 4, 2012

Conviction

What was the last thing you held conviction in your heart and mind for? What does conviction mean to you? In this world of flux, change and impermanence, what human on Earth can sustain conviction? Certainly we have Jesus and Mother Theresa as examples, thank God. Conviction means to hold a firm belief. The French verb Convaincre means to convince, to make someone believe. What a powerful word, eh? We have so many words in our English language and even in other languages, we have many more words and definitions for those words. I absolutely love language. To convince, to believe, to hold a strong belief, to have conviction. This begs the question? Who are we convincing? Why do we need conviction? For ourselves alone perhaps. Perhaps I am the only one I need to believe or convince, yes? If we have conviction about self-healing, self-knowledge, etc, who is there to convince, but ourselves? I need conviction for myself alone. For me holding conviction is an act of self-love and self-respect, not so much about making someone else believe what I believe. The joy of believing comes from the inside feeling of believing in oneself and being joyous when you are so honest with yourself that a smile comes to your face and just for you. The only act of self-love is to love greater, love more, and love more fearlessly. Fear = questions Trust = knowing Questions = Self-Inquiry, yes to an extent. For me, conviction is holding my ground despite what others do,say, think or feel. This makes me smile these days. Can conviction be hard? Yes, at times. Ask me how many people I have had to let go of in the name of holding my ground because of my beliefs? This includes facing a death of any kind, even physical. It is true, that when you have God, and when you know God has you, there is nothing to fear. You let go. And in that letting you, you hold on to your conviction. What a strange dichotomy, that holding on to my conviction, requires me to let go in other ways. Fearless is never easy my friend. But what else is there? Step deeper into that heart of yours, in that place where you melt into limitless space, love and soul. And stay when the fire is bringing tears to your eyes. That's a state of conviction we know well, don't we? We know how to let our tears stain our faces, with joy, and we do not flinch or blink. This is self-knowledge. This is conviction. Joan of Arc knew that kind of conviction. Archangel Michael walked that road with her to her death in that lifetime. Magdalene knows that fire, watching her Beloved go through the same death, for love. We have seen it all. We have plenty of examples. So why is it so hard in this life? To have enough conviction to let that ego die? To let go. We didn't pay all of those prices, in all of those lifetimes, to resist those lessons in this lifetime. Watch your own history. Remember what you already know how to do. Doing it again is a choice. Make the choice. When you reach this state of remembrance of Self, conviction is the essence of what we have left. God, love, peace, and conviction. Nothing can move your conviction if it is real. Only love is real, right? Then love is my only conviction. Test away.

No comments:

Post a Comment